Sunday, November 25, 2007

Strikket Hatt

So, I finally broke down and tried fair isle. I must say, I am in love. I don't think I'll ever knit with a single color again. Well, no that's not true, but get ready for a slough of fair isle patterns! Did I mention that I also love charting? Mmmmm.... Excel for Mac.

*Again, I apologize for the crappy photos. My camera is near death and appears to have acquired a profound distaste for both light and color.

Here's the first of (hopefully) many fair isle patterns:

Strikket Hatt!
(it means knitted hat in Norwegian in case you are wondering. Real original, huh?)



Materials:
Size 8 16" circular needle
Size 8 dpns
5 colors of Patton's Classic Wool - I used New Denim, Denim Marl, Worn denim, Natural Marl and Winter White.

Pattern:

Cast on 80 stitches using your main color (I started with New Denim).
Work in K1 P1 rib for 8 rows.
Continue knitting in stockinette stitch using the charted pattern below. You will repeat the charted pattern 8 times each row. Switch to dpns when necessary.



Symbols:
/ = k2tog (knit two stitches together)



Finishing:
You should have 8 stitches left on the needle. Break yarn leaving enough to sew through the remaining stitches on the needles a few times. Weave in ends.


2 comments:

Ilix said...

Looks great congrats on your first fair isle FO!

Leigh said...

Ooooh, I like! And it's not at all as goofy looking as you said it was going to be.