Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cozy Cat Crescent

We've all done it. You walk into your local craft store intent on buying that size 11, 24" bamboo circular needle and NOTHING ELSE. "I will be strong this time! " you tell yourself. But alas, you are no match for the 25% off bin filled to the brim with soft, delicious, discounted yarn.

Happens every time. That's how I ended up with seven skeins of Yarn Bee Soft Delight. It was so pretty and fluffy and soft, I just kept grabbing more and more... only to get it home and realize that not only is it a total pain in the @$$ to work with, but it SHEDS! That's right. Shedding yarn. I might as well have a cat!

Well... actually I have four. Which gave me an idea.

I present the amazing shedding cat pillow for your amazing shedding cats:



Materials:
5 skeins of Yarn Bee Soft Delight or any other crappy impulse buy yarn you want to get rid of. Use at least five different colors for maximum stripitude.
U.S. size 8 knitting needles
Approximately 24 ounces of fiber fill.

Gauge:
About 3.5 stitches per inch, not that is matters all that much.

Terms:
kfb: Knit into the front and back of the stitch.

Pattern:

Cast on 3 stitches
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: kfb, knit to end
Row 4: purl
Repeat rows 3 and 4 until you have 45 stitches. Bind off.

Work 14 triangles as above, changing colors randomly throughout. Try to make sure no two triangles are alike. I like to leave the ends long when changing colors or binding off so I can use the tails to sew the pieces together.



Sew seven triangles together to make a crescent.
Repeat with the remaining seven triangles.
Sew the two crescents together leaving a hole large enough to stuff the pillow.
Start stuffing (this part is really fun)!
When your pillow is sufficiently stuffed sew the hole shut and offer your pillow up to the kitties for scrutiny.



Sunshine says, "This is sufficient."

13 comments:

Mari said...

Very nice indeed! I happen to have a cat who is a snuggle-upperer and she'd love one. Great idea!

Stash Bustin' said...

Posted a link to your pattern on my blog. I love it thanks and it would also make a good gift for a new mommy.

Diana Troldahl said...

This is SO cool! My cats are going to love me. We had to take up all the carpeting and they've been giving me kitty glares ever since :-}

Ginette H said...

I am a new knitter - What is KFB on row 3?

Orange Fish said...

kfb = knit into the front and back of the stitch.
Check this out:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/increase/increase-bar.mpg

By the way, I always explain knitting terms that not everyone may know in the post, generally in the paragraph immediately above the pattern.

Orange Fish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer in MI said...

Great idea... I can see my two girls cozying up to them!!

Ashley said...

Your cats are so lucky to have such a nice owner who would use all that time and yarn to make them something!
It's beautiful and very clever!

Dorcas said...

I was Googling around for knit pet leash ideas (not that I'd follow the pattern, but I like ideas, lol) and had to see the pillow. I think you have the patern for giant fortune cookies! How cool is that? You could give them with a stitched message on the other side! I just moved my some of my knitting clubs meetings to a chineese restaurant owned by my friends. Now I'll have to knit her a giant fortune cookie! I'm a caterer, so I've already taken them GIANT fortune cookies as a gag. This is great! If you are ever near Dallas TX, email me!

Annie said...

I love this idea, especially since I have one cat who loves to lean against things when he sleeps! And just what I need to use up those awful leftovers....

lil-bamf said...

I made one for the dogs. My Corgi lounges on it like a little prince:-)

Lani said...

Adorable. I have several snuggler-kitties and some yarn that i haven't known what to do with ... giant kitty fortune cookies are in my future!

Lesley said...

This is brilliant! I can't wait to make one for my kitties! Thanks!

Lesley
http://byporchlight.blogspot.com