Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Earthtone Wristwarmers

I've resisted going to the little yarn shop down the street from my house for months now, but last week I finally gave in to temptation. I was immediately captivated by Noro. Even though I can't wear wool, it was just too pretty to pass up. It turned out to be the perfect yarn for lovely earthtone wristwarmers for my boyfriend to wear around the house.

These will make a great last minute gift (each warmer only takes a few hours), or a great project for a beginning knitter looking to practice cables.

Materials:
2 skeins Noro Kureyon. I used color number 178.
U.S. size 8 needles

Gauge:
About 4 stitched per inch.

Terms:
C4B: Slip 2 stitches onto cable needle, hold in back, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle
C4F: Slip 2 stitches onto cable needle, hold in front, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle

Pattern:

Cast on 38 stitches.

R0w 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1, (C4B, K4, C4F) three times, K1
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: K3, C4F, C4B, (K4, C4F, C4B) twice, K3
Row 8: Purl

Repeat rows 1-8 eight times.

Row 65: Bind off 10 stitches at the beginning of the row, knit
Row 66: Purl
Row 67: K3, (C4B, K4, C4F) twice, K1
Row 68: Purl
Row 69: Knit
Row 70: Purl
Row 71: K5, C4F, C4B, K4, C4F, C4B, K3
Row 72: Purl
Row 73: Knit
Row 74: Purl
Bind off knitwise.

Finishing:

Sew up the sides making sure to leave a space for the thumb where you bound off the 10 stitches in Row 65. Weave in ends.
Instead of using the end of your first skein to start your second warmer, start the second skein so the stripes match. Work second warmer the same as the first.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are lovely! which color of Noro did you use?

go veg said...

Thanks for posting this pattern. I am very new to knitting and it is going alone pretty well (after I figured out the cable stitch). I am doing mine in black.

malisatomiko said...

These are so ingenious! I have been too lazy to learn circular knitting, and so I tried these since they look really professional and relatively simple to make at the same time. I'm making a pair in dark grey for a friend, working on the second one now.

Anonymous said...

These look so much easier and faster than the pattern I used last year (on 4 double pointed needles). I'm going to start them tonight!

Thanks!

Bekah said...

Those are gorgeous! I'm gonna make them in black...gonna start it right now =)

Jessie said...

Used this pattern to make pretty a pair of legwarmers for my sister. Nice and simple, with style