Sunday, November 05, 2006

Blizzard Scarf

It's November, yet there is no snow on the ground, the temperature hovers around 55 degrees, and there hasn't even been a hard freeze! Needless to say, I'm not accustomed to this Pacific Northwest weather. Even though I'll probably never need it, what better way to feel at home than knit a super-gigantic warm winter scarf. Perhaps I'll send it to one of my chilly friends back home in North Dakota.



This scarf is made extra-wide and then folded over and sewn up to make a double layer of fabric for extra coziness. Plus, this way the pattern shows on both sides.

Materials:
2 skeins white Bernat Berella

I think this scarf would look absolutely lovely in a beautiful mohair or soft alpaca yarn, but, alas, I just can't tolerate wool. I only use it when I find a fabulous pattern or yarn that makes the itchiness and little red bumps worthwhile.

On the bright side, my grandma gave me 60 skeins of off-white Bernat Berella (thanks grandma!), so I'll use that instead.

U.S. size 13 needles

Gauge:
About 2.5 stitches per inch.

Terms:
yo - yarn over
k2tog - knit 2 stitches together

Pattern:
Cast on 39 stitches.
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
repeat 3 more times
Row 9: k1, (yo, k2tog) 19 times
Row 10: knit

Repeat until your scarf is gigantic.

A close-up of the pattern pre-finishing.


Finishing:

Leave and extra long tail of yarn when you bind off. Fold the scarf over and use the tail to seam up the sides.

Add four tassels on each end. You know how to make tassels right? If you don't, here's an explanation.

8 comments:

Schmendrick said...

In a small sort of way, you are my hero.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. AHR

Anonymous said...

The link to make tassels does not lead to any information on the subject that I could find.

Orange Fish said...

Sorry about that. They must have taken down the page. There's a new link now.

Andy's Crafts said...

Nice pattern, was looking for something different and with a little challenge. Thanks so much.

Just a Girl said...

Love it!! Am looking for something to make for a friend, and this is a perfect project for the blizzard we just had in Ohio :)

gfutfy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris J. said...

I finished it last night after 5 months of knitting, and I have to say, it looks stunning. My boyfriend is going to love it! Especially since he doesn't like being cold. :)